“I like smoking. I take a toke once in a while, and now and then I like to piss on a bush! Am I going to go to Hell for that?” It depends on your religion. Join your faithful Grue Crew – Chad Hunt, Bill Mulligan, Crystal Cleveland, and Jeff Mohr – as they experience Zombie 3 (1988), Lucio Fulci’s faux sequel to his faux sequel.
Decades of Horror 1980s
Episode 232 – Zombie 3 (1988)
Join the Crew on the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel!
Subscribe today! And click the alert to get notified of new content!
When a terrorist’s body, infected with a stolen chemical, is cremated by the US military, a virus is unintentionally released into the atmosphere over a small island.
- Directors: Lucio Fulci, Bruno Mattei, Claudio Fragasso
- Writers: Claudio Fragasso, Rossella Drudi, Lucio Fulci
- Producer: Franco Gaudenzi
- Edited by: Alberto Moriani
- Special Effects Makeup: Franco Di Girolamo
- Selected Cast:
- Deran Sarafian as Kenny
- Beatrice Ring as Patricia
- Ottaviano Dell’acqua as Roger (credited as Richard Raymond)
- Massimo Vanni as Bo (credited as Alex McBride)
- Ulli Reinthaler as Nancy
- Marina Loi as Carol
- Deborah Bergamini as Lia
- Robert Marius as Dr. Holder
- Mike Monty as General Morton
- Maricar Totengco as Suzanna (uncredited)
- Claudio Fragasso as Soldier at creamatorum (uncredited)
- Bruno Mattei as Soldier at creamatorum (uncredited)
It’s time to return to the gloriously gory realm of the Italian zombie movie. Whoa-boy! Zombie 3 (aka Zombi 3, aka Zombie Flesh Eaters 2), is a sequel to Fulci’s Zombi 2 (1979) in name only, much as Fulci’s Zombi 2 (known as Zombie in the U.S.) is a “sequel” to Romero’s Zombi (1978, known as Dawn of the Dead in the States). Alternate film titles, am I right? Woof.
Regardless, Fulci does return to direct this feature but it’s eventually co-directed by Bruno Mattei and Claudio Fragrasso when Fulci leaves the Philippines for . . . reasons. What about those reasons? Or the story? Or the locations? Or the effects work? Or the acting? Or the . . . well, you’re just going to have to check out what the 80s Grue Crew have to say about this latterday Fulci effort.
Hey, it’s still Fulci which makes it worth a watch in the Decades of Horror book. At the time of this writing, Zombie 3 is available to stream with ads from Tubi and The Roku Channel; by subscription from Flix Fling, Night Flight, or Screambox; and from multiple PPV sources. Zombie 3 is also available as a Blu-ray disc from Severin Films.
If you’re interested, here are other Decades of Horror episodes focused on movies directed by Lucio Fulci:
- ZOMBIE (1979) — Episode 62 — Decades Of Horror 1970s
- CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD (THE GATES OF HELL, 1980) – Episode 145 – Decades Of Horror 1980s
- THE BEYOND (1981) – Episode 123 – Decades Of Horror 1980s
- THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY (1981) – Episode 209 – Decades Of Horror 1980s
- THE BLACK CAT (1981) – Episode 184 – Decades Of Horror 1980s
Every two weeks, Gruesome Magazine’s Decades of Horror 1980s podcast will cover another horror film from the 1980s. The next episode’s film, chosen by Jeff, will be The Loch Ness Horror (1982). “Boom!” goes the dynamite.
Please let them know how they’re doing! They want to hear from you – the coolest, grooviest fans – so leave them a message or comment on the Gruesome Magazine Youtube channel, on the Gruesome Magazine website, or email the Decades of Horror 1980s podcast hosts at email@example.com.