Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:11:30 — 41.1MB)
Grue-Believers, the Grue-Crew is proud to present an early episode of Doc Rotten’s MONSTER MOVIE PODCAST recorded nearly 10 years ago around the same time HORROR NEWS RADIO (and subsequently Gruesome Magazine) was being born. HNR co-host and extradentary human being, SANTOS ELLIN, JR. (The Black Saint), took on a guest spot to discuss his and Doc’s favorite subject: HORROR MOVIES of the 1970s!
For over 2 hours The Black Saint and Doc rattled on about their favorite films from that Groovy Gory age of Horror, recounting an influential film from each year between 1970 and 1979, a concept that would give birth to DECADES OF HORROR 1970s. Join Santos and Doc for part one covering the first half of the decade.
B-Movie drive-ins, blacksploitation, grindhouse and Roger Corman, beyond Jaws, The Exorcist and Halloween lies a graveyard of forgotten gems, underrated classics and much loved worst films ever. It’s the Seventies and co-hosts Doc Rotten and Santos Ellin, Jr. are joining forces to take a look at their favorite Horror Films from the grooviest decade of terror, from 1970 to 1979. Get Ready!
Despite constantly sharing opposing views on modern horror over at the Official HorrorNews.Net Podcast, Doc Rotten and Santos share a deep rooted love for all things horror in the Seventies. It’s the decade where horror grew up and began to take the genre serious producing huge hits and dozens of classic and influencial horror films. Check out a short list beyond those listed above: Dawn of the Dead, Alien, Phantasm, Last House on the Left and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But, this is not a podcast about those films, this digs just a little bit deeper.
To tackle the subject, Doc and Santos are picking on film per year to spotlight. They are choosing one film that affected them, made a particular impact, shaping their love for horror films. The two hosts dig the decade so much the conversation went well over length and is being brought to you in two parts. Part one, episode 54, takes on the first five years from 1970 to 1974. Episode 55, coming in one week, is set to contain the latter half of the best decade in horror, the 1970′s. Groovy!
Doc Rotten’s Top Horror Films from the 1970′s
- Vampire Lovers (1970) – NOT YET REVIEWED AT THIS DATE! – What?!
- Let’s Scare Jessica to Death (1971) – Decades of Horror Episode 45
- Vampire Circus (1972) – Decades of Horror Episode 26
- Scream, Blacula, Scream (1973) – Decades of Horror Episode 15
- Sugar Hill (1974) – Decades of Horror Episode 23
Santos Ellin, Jr.’s (The Black Saint) Top Horror Films from the 1970′s
- Count Yorga, Vampire (1970) – Decade of Horror Episode 56
- The Brotherhood of Satan (1971) – NOT YET REVIEWED AT THIS DATE! – What?!
- Frogs (1972) – Decades of Horror Episode 22
- Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things (1973) – Decades of Horror Episode 12
- Shriek of the Mutilated (1974) – NOT YET REVIEWED AT THIS DATE! – What?!