“Hey, Doc. Tell her it’s an old American custom called smooch. And tell her she smooches good, huh? And tell her I’d like to give her some advanced lessons, huh?” Don’t you just love those old American customs? Join this episode’s Grue-Crew – Chad Hunt, Daphne Monary-Ernsdorff, Doc Rotten, and Jeff Mohr – as they travel to a mountaintop in Japan; a mountaintop that provides the inconvenient lab location for the creation of . . . The Manster (1959)!
Decades of Horror: The Classic Era
Episode 159 – The Manster (1959)
Join the Crew on the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel!
Subscribe today! And click the alert to get notified of new content!
Decades of Horror The Classic Era is partnering with THE CLASSIC SCI-FI MOVIE CHANNEL, THE CLASSIC HORROR MOVIE CHANNEL, and WICKED HORROR TV CHANNEL
Which all now include video episodes of The Classic Era!
Available on Roku, AppleTV, Amazon FireTV, AndroidTV, Online Website.
Across All OTT platforms, as well as mobile, tablet, and desktop.
https://classicscifichannel.com/; https://classichorrorchannel.com/; https://wickedhorrortv.com/
An American journalist stationed in Japan is given a mysterious injection by a mad scientist, turning him into a murderous, two-headed monster.
- Directors: George P. Breakston (as George Breakston); Kenneth G. Crane
- Writers: William J. Sheldon (screenplay by) (as Walt Sheldon); George P. Breakston (from an original story by) (as George Breakston)
- Music by: Hirooki Ogawa
- Cinematography by: David Mason (director of photography)
- Makeup Department: Fumiko Yamamoto (makeup artist)
- Special Effects: Shinpei Takagi
- Selected Cast:
- Peter Dyneley as Larry Stanford
- Jane Hylton as Linda Stanford
- Tetsu Nakamura as Dr. Robert Suzuki (as Satoshi Nakamura)
- Terri Zimmern as Tara
- Norman Van Hawley as Ian Matthews (as Van Hawley)
- Jerry Itô as Police Superintendent Aida (as Jerry Ito)
- Toyoko Takechi as Emiko Suzuki
- Kenzo Kuroki as Genji Suzuki
- Alan Tarlton as Dr. H.B. Jennsen
- Shinpei Takagi as Temple Priest
- George Wyman as Monster
- Fujie Satsuki as Cleaning Woman (uncredited)
“SEE THE TWO-HEADED KILLER CREATURE!” screams the tagline from The Manster, half man-half monster. The Grue-Crew follows the cast and crew to Japan for this delightfully silly, yet oddly effective, late 50’s creature feature. The results are part Jekyll and Hyde, part pre-Cronenberg body horror (RE: an eye growing out of the hero’s – or is it the villain’s – shoulder). Don’t let the title fool you, this one deserves a Saturday afternoon Monster-kid viewing. Check out what the Grue-Crew think with episode 159.
At the time of this writing, The Manster is available to stream from Amazon Prime in B&W and colorized versions, and from Tubi.
Gruesome Magazine’s Decades of Horror: The Classic Era records a new episode every two weeks. Up next in their very flexible schedule, as chosen by Daphne, is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) starring John Barrymore! This will be the Classic Era Grue Crew’s ninth journey to Silent Screamland. Yup, Chad’s going to have to read intertitles again.
Please let them know how they’re doing! They want to hear from you – the coolest, grooviest fans: leave them a message or leave a comment on the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel, the site, or email the Decades of Horror: The Classic Era podcast hosts at firstname.lastname@example.org
To each of you from each of them, “Thank you so much for watching and listening!”