“You were right Billy, I am a butthead!” The first step in recovery is to admit you have a problem, so he’s got that going for him. Join your faithful Grue-Crew – Crystal Cleveland, Chad Hunt, Bill Mulligan, and Jeff Mohr – as they find out exactly what a “shunting” is amidst the ultra weirdness of Society (1989).
Decades of Horror 1980s
Episode 173 – Society (1989)
Join the Crew on the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel!
Subscribe today! And click the alert to get notified of new content!
An ordinary teenage boy discovers his family is part of a gruesome orgy cult for the social elite.IMDb
- Director: Brian Yuzna
- Writers: Rick Fry, Woody Keith
- Makeup Department: Screaming Mad George (Jôji Tani) – surrealistic makeup designer and creator: S.M.G. Inc.
- 14 others from S.M.G. Inc.
- Billy Warlock as William “Bill” Whitney
- Concetta D’Agnese as Nan Whitney (as Connie Danese)
- Ben Slack as Dr. Cleveland
- Evan Richards as Milo
- Patrice Jennings as Jenny Whitney
- Tim Bartell as David Blanchard
- Charles Lucia as Jim Whitney
- Heidi Kozak as Shauna
- Brian Bremer as Martin Petrie
- Ben Meyerson as Ted Ferguson
- Devin DeVasquez as Clarissa Carlyn
- Maria Claire as Sally
- Conan Yuzna as Jason
- Jason Williams as Jason’s Friend
- Pamela Matheson as Mrs. Carlyn
- David Wiley as Judge Carter
Because Crystal made the pick for this one, it’s not surprising she marvels at how good, how crazy, how very creative, and how extremely strange Society is. This is the first watch for Bill and he does not appreciate the 1980s, teen, sex comedy feel to the beginning, but was all in once Screaming Mad George begins to display his not-so-subtle talents. Chad didn’t care for the story, but was flabbergasted by the effects provided by Screaming Mad George and his crew, and loved the sheer weirdness of Society, Jeff echoes everyone else’s comments and agrees that the effects make Society a fun movie and is somehow reminded of his experience with the artificial insemination of sows.
If you think it’s time to revisit, or even visit for the first time, the work of Brian Yuzna and Screaming Mad George, Society is currently available to stream on Shudder and as physical media on a 2-Disc Special Edition [Blu-ray + DVD] from Arrow Video.
Every two weeks, Gruesome Magazine’s Decades of Horror 1980s podcast will cover another horror film from the 1980s. The next episode’s film, chosen by Chad, will be John Carpenter’s Prince of Darkness (1987). You won’t want to miss that one!
Please let them know how they’re doing! They want to hear from you – the coolest, grooviest fans: leave them a message or leave a comment on the gruesome Magazine Youtube channel, on the website or email the Decades of Horror 1980s podcast hosts at firstname.lastname@example.org