“Dirty, stinkin’, slimy gators! You bit my hand off, didn’t you? I’m gonna spend the rest of my life killing gators. The rest of my life … killing ’em!” Maybe you shouldn’t have put your hand in the gator’s mouth. Join this episode’s Grue-Crew – Daphne Monary-Ernsdorff, Doc Rotten, and Jeff Mohr – as they take in a sweat-soaked Lon Chaney Jr. and the wonderful Beverly Garland in the story of a man-turned-gator as told in The Alligator People (1959).
Decades of Horror: The Classic Era
Episode 161 – The Alligator People (1959)
Join the Crew on the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel!
Subscribe today! And click the alert to get notified of new content!
Decades of Horror The Classic Era is partnering with THE CLASSIC SCI-FI MOVIE CHANNEL, THE CLASSIC HORROR MOVIE CHANNEL, and WICKED HORROR TV CHANNEL
Which all now include video episodes of The Classic Era!
Available on Roku, AppleTV, Amazon FireTV, AndroidTV, Online Website.
Across All OTT platforms, as well as mobile, tablet, and desktop.
https://classicscifichannel.com/; https://classichorrorchannel.com/; https://wickedhorrortv.com/
A woman in a hypnotic state recounts to two doctors the details of a horrific experience from her past life that began with the mysterious and sudden disappearance of her husband.
- Director: Roy Del Ruth
- Writers: Orville H. Hampton (screenplay); Orville H. Hampton & Charles O’Neal (story by); Robert M. Fresco (uncredited)
- Producer: Jack Leewood
- Music: Irving Gertz
- Cinematographer: Karl Struss (director of photography)
- Editor: Harry Gerstad
- Makeup Department:
- Special Effects: Fred Etcheverry
- Selected Cast:
- Beverly Garland as Joyce Webster – aka Jane Marvin
- Bruce Bennett as Dr. Eric Lorimer
- Lon Chaney Jr. as Manon (as Lon Chaney)
- George Macready as Dr. Mark Sinclair
- Frieda Inescort as Mrs. Lavinia Hawthorne – Henry’s Wife
- Richard Crane as Paul Webster
- Douglas Kennedy as Dr. Wayne MacGregor
- Bill Bradley as Patient ‘Number Six’ (uncredited)
- Hal K. Dawson as Train Conductor (uncredited)
- Dudley Dickerson as Train Porter (uncredited)
- John Frederick as 1st Male Nurse (uncredited)
- Ruby Goodwin as Louann – the Maid (uncredited)
- Ken Kane as Third Male Nurse (uncredited)
- Boyd Stockman as Alligator-Headed Paul (uncredited)
- Vince Townsend Jr. as Toby – the Butler (uncredited)
- Lee Warren as 2nd Male Nurse (uncredited)
Calling all MONSTER KIDS! It’s time for the Grue Crew to head to the bayou alongside actress Beverly Garland in search of her missing husband in the B&W creature feature The Alligator People (1959). Let’s throw in some hilariously creepy – but still awesome as ever – Lon Chaney, Jr. for good measure. See a man turn into a gruesome gator – with pants! All kidding aside, this is a terrific B-Movie classic that should not be missed.
At the time of this writing, The Alligator People is available to stream from the Classic Horror Movie Channel and Wicked Horror TV. The film is also available on disc as a Blu-ray from Shout! Factory.
Gruesome Magazine’s Decades of Horror: The Classic Era records a new episode every two weeks. Up next in their very flexible schedule, as chosen by Chad, is This Island Earth (1955), two-and-a-half years in the making!
Please let them know how they’re doing! They want to hear from you – the coolest, grooviest fans: leave them a message or leave a comment on the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel, the site, or email the Decades of Horror: The Classic Era podcast hosts at email@example.com
To each of you from each of them, “Thank you so much for watching and listening!”