Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 54:40 — 25.3MB)
“She is a sad romantic woman. She will fall in love with me. Then I will sacrifice her on the next full moon.” So says the Wolf Man wearing a gold, silk, disco shirt. Join your faithful Grue Crew – Doc Rotten, Chad Hunt, Bill Mulligan, and Jeff Mohr – as they check out the monster-filled world of luchadors enmascarado (masked wrestlers) in Santo and Blue Demon vs. Dracula and the Wolf Man (Santo y Blue Demon Contra Dracula y el Hombre Lobo, 1973).
Decades of Horror 1970s
Episode 168 – Santo and Blue Demon vs. Dracula and the Wolf Man (1973)
Join the Crew on the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel!
Subscribe today! And click the alert to get notified of new content!
Masked wrestling champion and occasional crime fighter El Santo once again saves Mexico from the ravages of undying monsters in this blend of grappling and horror. While the great fighter is busy in the ring, two legendary monsters, the vampire Dracula and a werewolf named Rufus Rex are brought back to life by his enemies. As the monsters roam free and threaten the life of El Santo’s closest friends, he teams up with fellow wrestling icon Blue Demon to vanquish the creatures once and for all.IMDb
- Director: Miguel M. Delgado
- Writers: Alfredo Salazar (story)
- Selected cast:
- Santo as Santo (credited as Santo el Enmascarado de Plata)
- Alejandro Moreno as Blue Demon (credited as Blue Demon)
- Aldo Monti as Drácula
- Agustín Martínez Solares as Rufus Rex – el Hombre Lobo
- Nubia Martí as Lina
- María Eugenia San Martín as Laura Cristaldi (credited as Ma. Eugenia San Martín)
- Alfredo Wally Barrón as Eric (credited as Wally Barrón)
- Jorge Mondragón as Prof. Luis Cristaldi
- Lissy Fields as Rosita
- Antonio Raxel as Jefe de policía
- Carlos Suárez as Jefe de los gangsters
- Lourdes Batista as Josefina
- Carlos León as Hombre encadenado
- Ángel Blanco as Luchador
- Renato el Hippie as Luchador
- Enrique Llanes as Narrador
- Roberto ‘Güero’ Rangel as Referee (as Roberto Rangel)
Santo and Blue Demon vs. Dracula and the Wolf Man is Jeff’s pick. He was turned on to the El Santo films by Joseph Perry, one of the founding hosts of Decades of Horror: The Classic Era and though it took him a while to get into the feel of the films, he loves them unabashedly now.
Bill likes any creator who lives the role and you can’t live the role any more than the luchadors enmascarado do. They even kiss their girlfriends with the mask on. You gotta love that! And just for kicks, the film opens and closes with wrestling matches. Chad has always enjoyed these movies and is impressed by the production values and vivid colors in this entry in the El Santo canon. And, as always, he digs the monsters and the wrestling. Once he warmed up to it, Doc had a great time with Santo and Blue Demon vs. Dracula and the Wolf Man as well. He admits that it takes a special mindset to enjoy these, the dumbest but most fun, movies.
Once you learn to love these films you won’t be able to get enough of them. Santo and Blue Demon vs. Dracula and the Wolf Man is available to stream from Tubi and Amazon Prime as PPV, and on physical media as one of the titles included in “Santo: El Enmascarado De Plata” Blu-ray Boxset from VCI Entertainment.
If you’d like to hear other Decades of Horror podcast episodes featuring the great El Santo, check these out:
- SANTO AND BLUE DEMON VS. THE MONSTERS (SANTO Y BLUE DEMON CONTRA LOS MONSTRUOS, 1969-70) – Episode 19 – Decades Of Horror: The Classic Era
- SANTO VS. THE ZOMBIES (SANTO CONTRA LOS ZOMBIES, 1962) – Episode 54 – Decades Of Horror: The Classic Era
We want to hear from you – the coolest, grooviest fans: comment on the site or email the Decades of Horror 1970s podcast hosts at firstname.lastname@example.org.