“Are you kidding? Your guy’s got a camera. Mine’s got a flamethrower.” A flamethrower’s good. Join your faithful Grue-Crew – Chad Hunt, Bill Mulligan, Crystal Cleveland, and Jeff Mohr – as they hit the radioactive underground in C.H.U.D. (1987). Be sure to bring your flamethrower!
Decades of Horror 1980s
Episode 229 – C.H.U.D. (1987)
Join the Crew on the Gruesome Magazine YouTube channel!
Subscribe today! And click the alert to get notified of new content!
A bizarre series of sudden disappearances on the streets of New York City seems to point toward something unsavory living in the sewers.
- Director: Douglas Cheek
- Writers: Parnell Hall (screenplay); Shepard Abbott (story); Christopher Curry (uncredited), Daniel Stern (uncredited)
- Makeup Department
- Selected Cast:
- John Heard as George Cooper
- Daniel Stern as A.J. ‘The Reverend’ Shepherd
- Christopher Curry as Captain Bosch
- Kim Greist as Lauren Daniels
- Laure Mattos as Flora Bosch
- Brenda Currin as Francine the Landlady
- Justin Hall as Justin
- Michael O’Hare as Fuller
- Cordis Heard as Officer Sanderson
- Vic Polizos as Hays
- Eddie Jones as Chief O’Brien
- Sam McMurray as Officer Crespi
- Frank Adu as Interrogation Cop
- Ruth Maleczech as Mrs. Monroe
- J.C. Quinn as Murphy
- Patricia Richardson as Ad Woman
- Ray Baker as Ad Man (as Raymond Baker)
- Beverly Bentley as Doris
- Graham Beckel as Val
- Gene O’Neill as Jackson
- Rocco Siclari as Hugo
- Bill Raymond as Victor (as William Joseph Raymond)
- Peter Michael Goetz as Gramps
- Shana Lee Farrell as Cindy
- John Ramsey as Commissioner
- George Martin as Wilson
- John Bedford Lloyd as Shadow Man (as John Bedford-Lloyd)
- Henry Yuk as Coroner
- Robert Toupin as Benson
- Frankie Faison as Sgt. Parker (as Frankie R. Faison)
- Ivar Brogger as Gooney NRC Man
- Parnell Hall as Judson
- John Goodman as Cop in Diner
- Jay Thomas as Cop in Diner
- Hallie Foote as Waitress
- Jon Polito as Newscaster
- Mark Mikulski as Cop at Wrecked Diner
- Lou Leccese as CHUD
- Sanford Clark as CHUD
- James Dudley as CHUD
- Carey Eidel as CHUD
Cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers. Or in Spain, Caníbales Humanoides Ululantes Demoníacos. Either way, it’s C.H.U.D., some serious campy 80s gold! The Grue-Crew revisits this fun monster movie from 1984 for this episode of Decades of Horror 1980s. John Heard, Daniel Stern, and Christopher Curry lead the cast in Douglas Cheek’s feature film debut. But the movie is about the creatures and maybe a small cameo from John Goodman… kidding. Check out what the Grue-Crew thinks of this sci-fi/horror classic.
At the time of this writing, C.H.U.D. is available to stream from these free-with-ads sites: Roku, Tubi, PlutoTV, Hoopla, Plex; and from these subscription sites: Amazon Prime, Arrow; and of course, there are PPV options. The film is also available as a Blu-ray disc from Arrow Video.
Every two weeks, Gruesome Magazine’s Decades of Horror 1980s podcast will cover another horror film from the 1980s. The next episode’s film, chosen by Bill, will be Wicked City (1987). Why does Bill keep warning the 80s Grue-Crew about the content of this film? Hmmm . . .
Please let them know how they’re doing! They want to hear from you – the coolest, grooviest fans – so leave them a message or comment on the gruesome Magazine Youtube channel, on the website, or email the Decades of Horror 1980s podcast hosts at email@example.com.